Water in Your Community

What is the water source for my neighborhood?

Frisco Ranch & The Preserve Water Source – Pumps draw water from two ground water wells located in Frisco Ranch. These pumps are roughly 1,000 feet down drawing water from the Trinity Aquifer.  

Frisco Hills Water Source – The water is purchased wholesale from the Town of Little Elm. The Town of Little Elm purchases water from North Texas Municipal Water District. The water is drawn from surface water sources including Lake Lavon, Texoma and Cooper.  

For more information on your water, please visit the Water Quality Reports page to view the most recent Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) for your neighborhood.  

Water Leaks

How do I report a leak in the Districts water system?

If you are reporting a water leak, call (281) 579-4500 or if it is an emergency, or after hours, call (281) 398-8211 to provide information needed to expedite handling. You may also fill out an online contact form here

How do I know if I have a leak?

If you think you may have a leak check here for tips on what to look for. If you are unsure if the leak is on your side or the District’s, feel free to contact us.  

Toilets are the most common indoor leak. We recommend checking, quarterly for toilet leaks in these two areas: 

  • A warped or failing flapper, 
  • Water running into the overflow tube. 

Check faucets in the bathroom and kitchen periodically for leaks. A faucet dripping at one small drop per second can waste up to 7 gallons per day. Replace worn washers to repair leaking faucets. 

Broken sprinkler heads, drip irrigation lines or underground water pipes are common sources of outdoor leaks. Observe your system in operation at least once per month to spot problems. Broken heads only leak when the system is operating. A broken pipe or valve on the other hand, can leak when the system is on or off and will add many more gallons to your usage. Look for wet depressions in the grass and in plant areas as well as run-off or pooling water that does not evaporate after 5 days without rainfall that may indicate broken pipes. 

If you suspect you have a leak somewhere but the above sources are okay, please contact the office to request a leak check at the property.  

Please be aware that in section 5.1 of the Frisco West WCIDDC rate order no person other than a duly authorized agent of the District shall open any meter box, repair, alter, adjust, damage, remove, make connections or additions to or in any other way take any actions which affects any meter, meter box, service line or other water and/or sewer System appurtenance. Any damage to District property as a result of unauthorized use will be billed to the utility account holder of the property.

Water Use Restrictions

Why does the District maintain water use restrictions during periods of frequent and/or heavy rainfall?

Year-round water use restrictions help ensure a sufficient quantity of drinking water to meet residential and business needs and provide adequate supply for fire protection for the District. 

What water restrictions do I follow if I live in Frisco Hills when the neighborhood water source is surface water from the Town of Little Elm?

District customers residing in Frisco Hills should adhere to the water use restrictions set forth by the Town of Little Elm. 

How can I report a suspected water violation?

To make a report of possible water use violations call (281) 579-4500 or email MUDcustomerservice@inframark.com. When making the report, include the address, date, time and nature of the suspected violation.

You may remain anonymous, if desired. 

What do I do if I received a water use citation/violation?

If you receive a water use citation and believe that the water use for which you were cited is one of the permitted uses defined in the applicable water use restrictions, contact Inframark at (281) 579-4500 or email us within 7 days of receiving the citation to provide information that will allow a review. 

What do I do if I have received a water use citation/violation for irrigating new landscaping and/or sod?

Water use restrictions set out specific guidelines for irrigation new plant materials. Please contact Inframark at (281) 579-4500 with questions about your citation and information about what to do if the irrigation you were cited for is allowed within the ordinance.

Water Quality and Service

What is a backflow device and why do I need one?

A backflow device is a mechanical insert in your plumbing system on the resident’s side of the meter that prevents the reversal of water flow. Having backflow devices on water connections helps maintain drinking water quality throughout the system to ensure that all customers receive the highest quality water possible.  

Approved backflow prevention devices are required to be installed on the service connection to any premises that the District has identified as having a potential for backflow. Additionally, all irrigation systems are required to have backflow prevention devices and any property connected both to potable and reclaimed water supplies is required to have the potable water supply protected by an approved backflow prevention device. 

Prevent potential cross connections or backflow resulting from a garden hose being submerged in a bucket, sink, pond, swimming pool, car radiator or a chemical applicator attached to the hose by installing inexpensive hose bib vacuum breakers, commonly available in the plumbing section of home improvement stores, between outdoor spigots and garden hoses.  

I am making a plumbing repair. Am I allowed to use the curb stop valve in the water meter box to turn off my water?

The fastest way to shut your water off is to locate your private shut off valve, typically placed on the side of your home. This valve is usually located in line with the meter box, low to the ground, sometimes behind bushes, on property between the District’s water meter box and your residence. If you are experiencing a leak at a fixture (such as a sink or toilet), look for a small shut-off valve behind or below the fixture to shut off water flow to that fixture until a repair is completed. 

We recommend that every home or structure have a private shut off valve. This will help minimize water damage to property in cases of emergencies, allowing you to shut off water to your home or business without delay. 

If your property does not have a private shut off valve, call (281) 579-4500 to schedule a turn offFor emergency turn-off assistance, call (281) 398-8211. The curb stop located in the water meter box is District property. District Rate Order Section 5.1 prohibits anyone other than an authorized representative of the District from turning off or turning on water at the District’s curb stop. Any damage to District property as a result of unauthorized use will be billed to the utility account holder of the property.

Do I need to buy a water softener? What is the hardness of the District’s drinking water?

Some companies sell water softeners to reduce the hardness of water. The softener’s purpose is to improve the aesthetics or feel of the water. Using a water softener is a matter of personal preference – but, using a water softener may not improve the safety or quality of water as it relates to health. 

As water travels over or through the ground, it dissolves naturally occurring minerals such as calcium or magnesium. The ‘hardness’ of water refers to the amount of these minerals in the water. Because calcium or magnesium can prevent soaps from lathering or creating suds, cleaning with water containing high amounts of these minerals is considered ‘hard’ or difficult. Water containing very little calcium or magnesium is called ‘soft’ water. In general, water from wells contains more minerals because ground water is exposed to the minerals longer. 

Hard water is fine to use and drink without a softener. Some people like the way their hair and skin feels when suing soft water. Others do not like soft water because they feel the soap won’t rinse off and may note a ‘slimy’ feel. People with hard water may notice white deposits on dishes, cookware or coffee makers. Some detergents now contain the softening ingredients to reduce and remove these deposits. The calcium in the water can deposit on faucets and shower curtains as a white residue (which is most easily cleaned with a vinegar-soaked cloth). 

Many water softeners exchange sodium for existing calcium and magnesium in the water and therefore, increase the sodium content in the water. The sodium increase in softened water may be a concern to you. If you are on a sodium restricted diet, you may want to consult with your physician to determine what is best for you. The softened water may be more corrosive and may harm your water pipes in your house. The resin beads in the water softener slowly break down and these break-down materials sometimes settle as deposits in the toilet tanks and in the water heater indicating your softened water may contain these materials. An unused softener can grow bacteria and may be a source of potential water contamination in your home. 

The cost of softening water is a factor that must be taken into consideration. Some water softeners have features to reduce water use. On-demand water softening equipment measures the demand and softens water only when needed. These units can save water by eliminating unnecessary regeneration cycles and making the most efficient use of water, salt and energy. 

If you are considering installing a water softener, the not-for-profit National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) independently tests home water treatment devices and has a guide to selecting the right household water treatment system to meet your needs. For more information visit www.nsf.org 

Office Location

1230 Brendan Dr.

Little Elm, TX 75068

Get Directions

Office Hours

Monday - Friday 9:00am - 4:00pm

For district emails and emergency text alerts sign up here.

Triton Alert System (tritoncg.com)

Contact Us


Frisco West Water Office (9am-4pm): (281) 867-5415

Main Water Customer Service: (281) 579-4500

Water Emergencies: (281) 398-8211

Emergencies: 911

Non Emergency #: (214) 975-0460